Saturday, April 10, 2010

Is it really IBS? Some tips...

I had IBS...I just never knew it.

I've had severe stomach pain, cramps, constipation and diarrhea constantly throughout my life. I just never had a name to attach to it until recently.

It's understandable that I never associated my stomach pain with IBS, since it's very often considered a "women's disease." In fact, while 75% of IBS cases are diagnosed among women - it could very well be that just as many men have IBS - they just aren't diagnosed properly.

Looking back, though, it now seems pretty clear to me that IBS has been an issue for me all along.
- In my teens, I suffered terrible stomach pain and cramping, and was actually hospitalized for four days for tests; they ended up diagnosing "growing pains."
- In my early 30s, I had mysterious stomach pain and cramping that pretty much stopped me from eating; tests showed nothing - three months and 30 pounds later, I just felt better.
- And over the last ten years, I was diagnosed as having various forms of colitis, before finally being correctly told that I had IBS.

So, can my experience help anyone else? I hope so. I had barely even heard of IBS - and I never really knew what it was.

How can you tell if your stomach pain and cramping is really IBS? Of course, you should see a doctor to be sure. But here's a quick guide.

- If you have stomach pain and cramping for at least three months out of the year (not necessarily three continuous months, just a total of 90 days), suspect IBS.
- If your pain and cramping temporarily feels better after a bowel movement, suspect IBS.
- If your pain is often worse after eating a large meal, suspect IBS.
- If your bowel movements often change in frequency or consistency, suspect IBS.
- If you pain gets worse when you're under stress, suspect IBS.

Unfortunately, there are no specific tests for IBS. Doctors conduct lab tests and an interview - and if the tests don't show anything else and the symptoms fit, they'll then confirm a diagnosis of IBS.

There's also no "magic pill" that fixes or cures IBS. Diet and lifestyle changes are usually the most effective approaches for someone who finds, like I did, that their stomach pains really do have a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment